Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Music of the Night


Yes, I have had Phantom of the Opera music stuck in my head all week thanks to my friends. I just need to watch the movie again. Speaking of music, I've been really trying to broaden my tastes with interesting finds and diving into some alternative/indie rock music. I don't know about you, but sometimes I go through short periods of time where I want to dye my hair a really funky color (like a bright orange or deep blue) wearing brightly-colored jeans and rock out to some loud indie music...must be an alter ego of mine. Anyway, whatever music you're into I just wanted to give someone a fresh taste with some of the music I've found in hopes that it broadens your tastes too, because sometimes we all have a thirst for a new great song...

1. The Decemberists - my newest favorite band, I highly recommend their song Valerie Plame, it has a very beatlesque "Hey Jude" sound at the end.
2. Of Montreal - they can be a little weird and may wear interesting clothes but everything on their 1998 album, The Bedside Drama: A Petite Tragedy is really awesome. I love listening to the lilting mellow tunes and the strumming of a guitar. (If you have iTunes be sure to look it up!)
3. Slavic Soul Party! - a marching-band-meets-european-flair sounding brass band in NY that has some great party music and makes you want to dance.
4. Belle & Sebastian -just a good band overall. They appeared on the Juno soundtrack.
5. The Apples in stereo - their song "Energy" was featured on American Idol. I think they also have a cd for kids.
6. She & Him - an awesome band consisting of Zooey Deschanel and M. Ward. They have great music with 60's sounding pop melodies.
I think this is it for now. Let me know what you think. :)
Lauryn
p.s. NTS camp is coming up in a couple weeks! We are Team Black this year. Woo!

No comments: