Wednesday, August 31, 2011

God-given Godparents

I never grew up knowing much about godparents nor the concept behind assigning godparents to one's children.  As far as I knew, it was a Catholic thing so naturally, as a non-denominational fundamental Protestant (say that 5 times fast!), I didn't have a clue.  But once Michael and I started having children, I just knew that somehow in someway we had to publicly and symbolically include our best friends into our family tree.  Now I still may not know exactly the correct ritual or role of godparents in the church, however for us, it means that not only are Dave and Erin spiritual guardians of our children (beyond us, of course), but also legal guardians if something were to ever happen to us.  They are, in all accounts, God-parents of my children.  And I know it's something they take seriously.  We're very fortunate to have them in our lives and my boys will always have another set of parents looking out for them...physically and spiritually. 

Damien getting to know Erin & Vivi

Though Dave & Erin and kids have up and moved to France for the next year, we're missing them and staying in touch via Skype (video conference calling). It was very important to Erin that Landon not forget them and that Damien start to learn who they are over the course of this coming year.  Though they've just recently left, we're already looking forward to their return!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I should have waited until later to read this! Now I have another reason to be emotional today, aside from the kids starting school. Give all those gorgeous kids of yours great big Erin-sized squeezes (not your lame ones) for me. GOSH do I miss them. And you of course! xoxo