Monday, March 19, 2012

Handling Haikus

This year we have been studying geography pretty in depth, thanks to Expedition Earth homeschool curriculum, and we love it!  In our study of Japan earlier in the school year, we came across the practice of writing haikus.  (See definition below.) The boys wanted to share their haikus with you so please enjoy.


*hai-ku
noun, plural 
1. A major form of Japanese verse, written in 17 syllables divided into 3 lines of 5, 7 and 5 syllables, and employing highly evocative allusions and comparisons, often on the subject of nature or one of the seasons.
2. A poem written in this form.

This is Jayce's haiku:

Bohdan is my friend.
He took a long trip to France;
I miss him a lot.

Here is Reagan's:

Christmas is coming -
My favorite holiday.
So is my birthday.

On a funny note, I just came across Visual Latin's haiku of the day which made us laugh.


It reads:
Haikus are easy.
But sometimes they don't make sense.
Refrigerator.


*From dictionary.com





1 comment:

Unknown said...

Thank you, Jayce. I miss you too!
-Bohdan