Friday, September 5, 2008

The Great Debate

Recently, a friend of mine started a debate on facebook that I couldn't resist in joining. With a couple of months before presidential elections, you might think it has something to do with politics. Or both of us being women of faith, you might think it's about religion. But alas no, neither of those factor into our debate (though possibly by the end of things, they will). Rather we have hit upon the Dunkin Donuts vs. Starbucks debate. Just in googling DD vs. SB, a gajillion sites come up with titles like "Coffee Wars" and "Battle Brews". Apparently, this debate strikes a cord with all coffee drinkers everywhere, and people become very passionate about their preferences. In my research, the two monster corporations look remarkably similar, at least, on paper. Their target audience is a bit different though.

"What separates us from other experiences is the extra care we take to create an all-encompassing experience for your coffee moment," says Brad Stevens, vice president of marketing for Starbucks.1

"We're for the people who lead very busy lives, with places to go and things to get done," says Frances Allen, brand marketing officer for Dunkin' Donuts. She adds, "Our customers are not really there to sit and relax and read a newspaper and spend an hour over latte."1

Another difference would be where they obtain their coffee beans and at what price they sell them. Both seem to have high quality beans and both use [some] fair-trade coffee, but "
Starbucks always known for its environmental friendly attitude has made the growing of coffee beans into a cause."2 And anyone who has been to both locations for coffee knows about the price difference. DD beverages cost about 20% less than Starbucks'. Taking a quick look at both nutritional information charts (DD's & SB's), both offer beverages with similar caloric counts. But what strikes me as polar opposite between the two companies is the origin. DD started as a small coffee and donut shop in Massachusetts (very American) while Starbucks started in Seattle with inspiration taken from the old Italian coffee bar tradition offering Espressos and Cappucinos.2

"It tastes like a crappy cup of coffee...
it is a crappy cup of coffee."

"No! It's the world's BEST cup of coffee!" ~ Elf

Anyway, enough about statistics, origins, retail prices... This really comes down to individual tastes. Though I am a tried-and-true, "blue-blooded" New Englander hailing from the state where DD was born, I prefer Starbucks. Personally, I don't appreciate the burnt coffee-scented toxic fumes that drift out of every DD I pass by. I also find SB's customer service to be top-notch, and as far as the exorbitant price, I've received enough free drink offers from SB (thanks to that great customer service) that I consider it a horse apiece compared with DD. Before you label me a traitor however, know that I do not consider myself a coffee connoiseur. I don't drink coffee everyday nor do I look to it as my drug of choice for energy, speed, etc. In fact, I drink decaf. Worse, I drink flavored decaf - nothing akin to black coffee in any way, shape or form. So when I take the time to brew my own coffee from home or am looking to get a quick cup of coffee from a drive-thru, essentially I am looking for a yummy, relaxing, dessert-in-a-cup kind of coffee. I do not consider myself to be the average joe leading a crazy, busy life for whom DD is looking to serve. I am not a utilitarian coffee-drinker. If I have the opportunity to sit and relax with a book while drinking an exquisite (and yes, expensive) frou-frou drink, then I will take it in a heartbeat. My coffee experience is just that - an experience. I totally understand and sympathize with those who don't have time for a date with their coffee - and why I only find time to drink coffee outside the home a couple of times a month.

And with all that said and debate aside, while at home, I actually purchase and brew Gevalia
coffee as they were nice enough to give me a free coffeemaker.


P.S. Please indulge my curiosity and take the poll regarding DD vs. SB on the left-hand side of this page. It'll be fun to see what the results will be!


1. http://www.usatoday.com/money/industries/food/2007-12-19-starbucks-dunkin-donuts_N.htm
2.Taken from and condensed from http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/19629/coffee_wars_starbucks_vs_dunkin_donuts.html?page=5&cat=22

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I got a single cup keurig coffee maker for Christmas last year...after a little experimenting with brands of coffee...I have discovered that I am saving a ton of money on coffee...saving money on gas by no longer waiting in the drive-thru at DD for mediocre coffee...and I am saving time during my very hectic mornings...usually takes an extra 20 minutes to get my coffee at DD before I'm off to work...I'm making gourmet coffee at home and saving time and money!!! It's definitely the route to go!

Lauryn said...

mmmm....i'm really in the mood for that Starbucks chocolate mocha java whateveritis....

Anonymous said...

You are too cute- and I miss you soooo much (AND the fam)!

I don't evr drink coffee- ok, maybe once a year. But your blog wa insightful, informativem AND entertaining! Made me actually want a cup!

Talk soon! xoxo -danielle.

Anonymous said...

Being a non coffee drinker I find it interesting and comical in a sense that a food source (if you can even call it that) has stirred up such a debate. Neverless, it's one I suppose people will only like one or the other. Or, they can migrate over to Aroma Joe's as Paul did. Glad I never aquired the taste! : )

Stephanie

Michelle said...

Tough one, Crystal. I have dropped way too many a buck at DD's and lately have switched over to spend more greenbacks at Starbucks for an iced cafe mocha w/ whip - simply the perfect fix to a chocolate craving on a hot day! I guess you can say I swing from both sides of the fence then! But I hope to join the Keurig crowd someday and replace the Gevalia that has served me well but has seen better days!

Jill said...

A couple of years ago I tried SB's maple macciato and now I'm hooked. Unfortunately, it's only a seasonal option at some SB locations, but I do believe it's a fall drink to them. You have to try it--a perfect dessert-in-a-cup treat. I no longer enjoy DD coffee at all, and will instead get thier Chai tea instead when left with no other option. My husband still prefers DD which is much more available in a fix. We too, bought ourselves the Keurig for Christmas last year and love it! I'm looking forward to using it for Irish coffee this winter while we scrapbook.

Anonymous said...

yeah, not a dessert coffee kind of gal. Thanks to lois, i've been hooked on old fashioned coffee since I was 15 and cannot go a morning without your basic cup or two or three... makes it difficult visiting the relatives who are only tea drinkers (jen!). of course, if i'm looking to load up on calories and sugar, just give me a little bailey's or kalua. :)

Paula said...

I'm a DD fan but usually brew the coffee at home to save lots of money A pot or two sometimes three is brewed a day...which gets me thinking that I could go for more coffee