Sunday, September 28, 2008

Meeting MD & the Big E


So, on September 11th, I headed out to my dad's house and eagerly awaited the day to come. Micky Dolenz was playing at the Big E in Mass and I couldn't wait. So the next day we (being my dad, Denise [my dad's girlfriend] and I) drove about an hour and a half to our destination. We drove right in and surprised there wasn't long lines for the Big E, although it was sprinkling, it was also the first day of Big E. We arrived there around 1:30ish, I don't really remember. I was sort of oblivious of time. Micky was playing at 3pm. We walked around, admiring how big this fair was...hence 'Big' E. Also realizing how many hot tubs could be sold in one place. Well, after a snack or two we sat down within the benches of people waiting for Micky to come out. This was all outside on a decent sized stage by the way. I looked around noticing most of the people who were there looked liked they watched the Monkees when they were kids or just old folks who wanted to enjoy some music. I'm pretty sure I was the only teenager there.
Before Micky came out, the cutest little girl sang a couple songs. Then the real show began. I had camera in hand. They introduced Micky as he ran out onto the stage.

He started off with "That was Then, This is Now". I've never been fond of 80's music, but it's Micky Dolenz so I didn't complain. The he did few other great Monkees songs such as "She", "Last Train to Clarksville", and "(I'm Not Your) Steppin' Stone". In between, he would tell us little things and would make a joke, which were pretty hilarious. Oh! His siter Coco was Also there, she sang "Different Drum" by Mike Nesmith. She was really good. It was fun to watch him and his sister together, you could tell they were close.

After the show, they announced that Micky will be signing autographs and taking pictures. I had no idea! But dad did and brought some trading cards for me to pick so Micky could sign. A little white tent off the right side of the stage Micky sat while people lined up to see him. We headed over there and by this point I was shaking like a leaf. It's like I had all-of-a-sudden-restless-body syndrome, I couln't stand still! I finally got up to the table. He said "Hey, Darlin'". I handed him my trading card, he took it and looked at it like he hadn't seen it before, then signed it. I then immidiately got into the picture line. Micky was very quick. After everyone had taken a picture with him, he waved goodbye and left.
Micky was playing again at 8pm that day. We stayed and walked around looking at vendors until two of Denises friends came to see Micky that night (they are Monkees fans too).

We all got front row this time, there weren't that many people there. I feel bad for Micky knowing that he used to have literally thousands of teenagers after him. Lol, I got my 10-year old cousin into the Monkees and she loves Davy. Anyway, we saw Micky play again, and we got his autograph again...and we..or more like I got my picture taked with him again. I was so excited!

On the way out, all of us stopped to see this cow entirely made out of butter. It was awesome.

My dad and Denise told me they're going to bring me to see Peter Tork, because next month on October 24th he will be playing in Mass. So, stop by next month to hear my story about meeting Peter!! This has definately been a Monkee-tastic year. :]

3 comments:

Crystal said...

You are sooo funny! Hot tubs, huh? You should have brought one home. Btw, Mickey's lucky to have you (apparently his one teenage fan) as a fan!

Susan said...

Lauryn - love the short haircut! Very cute. Also, I was a big Monkees fan when I was in my early teens. Micky was my fave and my best friend at the time was a Davy guy. Good for you to be so diligent in cheering on a guy with so much history and heritage! You go girl. Loved the pics. ~Susan

Lauryn said...

Thanks!!