Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Step 1 - Loading Days on HCG Protocol

I have to admit I was more concerned about the loading days on the HCG diet than the "starvation" part of the diet.  Trying to cram as much fat and calories into your body in two days to the point of misery didn't make much sense to me in the beginning and I dreaded the discomfort of it all.  So I did my research, found the worst, fatty, high-caloric foods out there and planned my menu accordingly.  My goal was to eat as little food with the most amount of fat and calories.  I started off with a trip to Dunkin' Donuts, got myself a breakfast sandwich, a donut and a medium coffee.  After eating every bit, I felt like maybe loading day was going to be manageable.  Then I headed to Burger King to purchase a Tendercrisp Chicken Sandwich meal (yes, it has more fat and calories than a Whopper) with a large fry and large milkshake.  I ate the sandwich and fries no problem.  Then I got to the milkshake.  When I couldn't even drink 1/4 of it, my resolve started to crumble.  I sipped that thing throughout the rest of the day until it made me want to...how shall we say it?...disgorge.  By the time supper rolled around, I couldn't even think about food and had to go lie down.  At this point I was useless to myself, my family and all around.  It wasn't until about 8:30pm that I could even consider trying to eat the Olive Garden take-out my loving husband picked up for me on his way home from work.  The Pork Milanese was yummy (and not something I'd ever choose to order, but it was very high in fat and calories) along with the Caesar salad (yes, again...high in fat and calories thanks to the dressing).  But I couldn't finish it and was in a food coma by the time I was done.  I went to bed again and sleep overtook my food-addled brain.

You may wonder why anyone would do this to themselves.  Dr. Simeons who is the doctor behind the research of the HCG Protocol puts it like this:

One cannot keep a patient comfortably on 500 Calories unless his normal fat reserves are reasonably well stocked. It is for this reason also that every case, even those that are actually gaining must eat to capacity of the most fattening food they can get down until they have had the third injection. It is a fundamental mistake to put a patient on 500 Calories as soon as the injections are started, as it seems to take about three injections before abnormally deposited fat begins to circulate and thus become available.

Most patients who have been struggling with diets for years and know how rapidly they gain if they let themselves go are very hard to convince of the absolute necessity of gorging for at least two days, and yet this must he insisted upon categorically if the further course of treatment is to run smoothly. 

... a difference appears between those patients who have literally eaten to capacity during the first two days of treatment and those who have not. The former feel remarkably well; they have no hunger, nor do they feel tempted when others eat normally at the same table. They feel lighter, more clear-headed and notice a desire to move quite contrary to their previous lethargy. Those who have disregarded the advice to eat to capacity continue to have minor discomforts and do not have the same euphoric sense of self-being until about a week later. It seems that their normal fat reserves require that much more time before they are fully stocked.


No comments: