Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Convenience - the current American Idol?

I've been thinking a lot about environmentalism/conservationism lately (it's hard not to do so these days!) and mulling over my options, I guess you would say. In the world today, we have so many options to "save the world", but they all seem to have a price tag attached (literally and figuratively). We have energy-efficient hybrid cars, cloth diapers, natural medicine and homeopathy, alternative forms of energy, more earth-friendly materials, recycling programs, organic food, local farmer's markets, etc., etc. But most of these wonderful alternatives have cost us and will cost us thousands, if not millions, of extra dollars. So many of my friends have sacrificed certain things in their budget in order to afford to shop organic or take advantage of energy alternatives. And none of these seem to be very ummm....convenient. Take cloth diapers, for instance - certainly not as convenient as sticking a disposable diaper onto a baby and a few hours later being able to simply throw it away without another thought. Convenience has become quite an idol in today's society, it seems. And I'll be the first one to admit it is certainly one of mine. It's much more convenient to do my one-stop shopping at my local Walmart superstore than visit the local farmer's market every week (which coincidentally is conveniently located right down the street from me) and the local dairy farm to purchase my milk and eggs. It's way more convenient to load all my groceries from said Walmart into plastic bags to tote home with me (and promptly throw away) rather than purchase earth-friendly tote bags to use every time I go shopping. Isn't it more convenient to just take a pill to cure some disease than actually lead a healthier lifestyle with exercise and diet (I won't even get into diets right now!)? Is preventive medicine easier and more convenient than reactionary medicine? Of course not! Let's sue Mickey D's for the "food" (I use that term loosely) they make rather than just choosing not to eat it! I'm sure it's more convenient for the US to keep buying oil from overseas rather than researching and implementing more and different alternative energy resources.
There is nothing so easy but that it becomes difficult when you do it reluctantly.*
Not being environmentally conscious up until now has come with a considerable price tag as well and has helped get us into this place, the veritable rock and hard place. Convenience is our god, and we keep throwing all of our money and common sense into the mouth of this god. Unfortunately, this god is an unfeeling, greedy, unmerciful god who keeps everything and gives nothing. Diverting some of our money to things not-so-convenient may be a small step, but it is significant overall. So I've been trying to get out more to the farm and buy local at the farmer's market. I not only see this as helpful to the environment, but it's healthier for my own family. I'm just starting to work on the idea of not being so dependent on plastic (why? you may ask - that's another topic for a different day) and looking into alternatives for disposable diapers (bad past experiences prevent me from committing to cloth just yet), but I like using naturopathic doctors and homeopathic treatments, trying out new all-natural drugstore products (natural deodorant is my newest thing which is amazing to say the least as I've always been an antiperspirant girl, but so far so good) and enjoying being a Mothering magazine mom. I don't know if it's the age (in my thirties), the life stage (being a mom) or the fact that the world seems to be getting crankier with our treatment of her, but I don't think we can afford to let convenience reign supreme. After all, we were given orders from the beginning of creation to take good care of her, and no matter how much I search, God never mentions convenience.


* Terence, Roman comic dramatist (185 BC - 159 BC)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Crystal--

Mom here, great article! I've already bought the Market Basket 'green' bags,use the plastic one I do get to get rid of dog poop (couldn't think of a better use), installed a pellet stove (pellets on back order), and use my clothesline faithfully all year long... I recycle everything I can--newspapers, magazines, telephone books, all paper packaging, cans, bottles, plastics--(saves the town lots of money) and even save the plastic bags the newspaper comes in and give them back to the newspaper lady to reuse. I shred office and personal papers and recycle that too. I take back soda bottles and cans to the grocery store (those I purchase in Mass) and then recycle the plastic bags I take them back in at the store. I do all my running around/errands on Friday so that saves gas. I save the pull-top alum rings on tops of cans (soda, food) and donate them to someone who takes them to a kidney dialysis place...(just turned in a Market Basket paper bag HALF FULL of those little rings--thanks to all who save them and give them to me... We use energy saving light bulbs, but what about the mercury in them? Try to do the best I can. Can you think of anything else? Been going to Peter's Farm ourselves for delicious vegetables and fruits!